On Bhai Dooj sisters prepare special sweet dish for their brothers. As per the traditions brothers visit their sisters houses who welcome them with great love and affection. After performing the puja sisters cook special dishes and sweets for their brothers. The most common sweet dish made on this day are:
Basundi is a rich and delicious dessert of thickened milk. Almonds and pistachios add crunch to this creamy sweet.Ingredients:
- Full fat milk : 1 litre
- Sugar: 1/2 cup
- Cardamom: 3 pods
- Almonds: 5(blanched)
- Pistachios: 3(skinned)
- Saffron: 10-15 threads
- Soak saffron in 2 tea spoons of hot milk and keep it aside.
- Chop finely and crush coarsely, the almonds and pistachios.
- Peel and powder cardamom seed with a mallet.
- Add it to the chopped dry fruit mix.
- Make small pieces of saffron in a cup, and dissolve it in milk.
- Pour milk in a large deep pan, on medium flame and stir occasionally.
- When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and continue to boil.
- Stir frequently, till milk is 2/3 in volume.
- Add all the dry fruits and cardamom to the boiling milk.
- Boil further for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool a little.
- Pour this mixture into a large decorative serving bowl.
- Allow to cool completely, chill in refrigerator for 4-5 hours.
- To avoid a layer forming on the surface, stir frequently while cooling.
- Serve chilled in individual cups and garnish it with some strands of saffron.
Packed with fresh carrots, this classic recipe provides you plenty of vitamin A which helps to maintain a healthy vision and glowing skin.
- 200 grams (about 8 oz.) carrots grated
- 1 cup(s)milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh cream
- 4 tablespoons fine sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) ghee (clarified butter)
- a little cardamom powder, and chopped nuts (like almonds and raisins).
- Heat ghee (clarified butter) on medium level in a pan till hot. Add grated carrots and mix well. Fry the carrots for about 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Mix milk, sugar and condensed milk (replace condensed milk with 4 tablespoons khoya, if available). Add to carrots and keep on low heat uncovered for about 7 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Dot with fresh cream. Sprinkle cardamom powder and chopped nuts. Keep on low heat for about 2 minute(s).