Gujiya is the undisputed king of Holi sweets and rightly so, it is relatively easy to make and the result is very delicious, suited to every palate. Let us now know how to prepare this finger-licking recipe:
Procedure to Make Gujiyas
- Sift the maida with the 6tbsps of oil and mix well.
- Add little quantities of water and knead it lightly making it into soft dough.
- Make into a ball, keep it covered with a moist cloth in a bowl.
- Slowly fry the Khoya till golden brown.
- Add sugar, raisins and almonds to the khoya and fry till the sugar melts.
- Lay it in a large plate and let it cool.
- Take a small piece of dough and roll it out like a small, thick chapatti.
- Place the khoya mix in the centre.
- Fold it and join the edges and twist the edges towards the inside to prevent them from opening.
- Use the complete dough and khoya mix to make more gujiya, keep them under a moist cloth.
- Heat the oil in a fryer or kahadi and deep fry the gujiyas in small batches.
- Fry them to a dark golden brown and take out and cool them on a paper towel.
- Serve them on a platter as soon as they cool.
- Can be stored in an air tight jar for later use.
Another Traditional sweet that is very healthy too, more like a parantha but can be served as rolls.
Procedure to Prepare Puran Polis
- Boil the chana dal for 10 -12 minutes in a open pan and drain water.
- Squeeze excess water from dal and grind the dal to a grainy consistency.
- Add the jaggery and mix it well, making sure the jaggery is melted.
- Let it cool for few minutes.
- Add 1tbsp of ghee and little warm water to form a soft dough.
- Take small portions of the dough and roll it.
- Fill the centre of the rolled dough with the filling and seal.
- Softly roll the mix filled dough into a soft paratha or layered roll.
- Cook it on a hot tava and apply ghee to roast it well.
- Serve it hot with a dollop of ghee on top or cut and make small rolls to serve as a finger snack.
This recipe is with Condensed Milk and very easy to make.
Procedure to make Coconut Laddoos
- Shell and cut slivers of the pistachios and keep aside for garnishing.
- Measure and set aside 50 gms of the coconut powder.
- Heat the condensed milk in a heavy bottom pan and add cocnut powder to the condensed milk.
- Cook on a slow fire , till the mix leaves the sided of the pan and keep stirring constantly till done.
- Let it cool and as soon as you can touch it oil your hands and roll into small bite sized balls.
- Roll these balls in the coconut power till covered and top with slivers of pistachios.
- Serve with little more pistachios garnish on a plate.
Malpuas and Rabri
Holi is synonymous with Malpua and Rabri and it is fairly easy to make.
Procedure to prepare Malpuas and Rabri
- Take milk for Rabri and sugar and let it boil on slow heat.
- Stir it constantly so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook till it gets reduced to one fourth in quantity.
- Let it cool and then keep in fridge till serving time.
- Next add the sugar, saffron, cardamom powder and water in a pan and let it boil.
- Make a single strand consistency for the syrup and set it aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, aniseed and condensed milk in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying the Malpuas.
- Pour small quantities of the batter to form small circles the size of your palm.
- Deep fry them turning slowly till golden brown.
- As soon as they are done, put them in the sugar syrup.
- Let them absorb the syrup for a few minutes and then lay them in a strainer.
- Serve two Malpuas on a plate, top with a dollop of Rabri and garnish with nuts and almonds.
The most favourite sweet of all times and very easy to make with simple ingredients.
Procedure to Make Rice Kheer
- Keep milk to boil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Soak the raisins in warm water to soften them.Best Re
- Add the washed rice as the milk begins to boil.
- Add the saffron strands and let it cook.
- Keep stirring and add sugar when the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the raisins to the Kheer and keep stirring.
- Take off the heat when the rice is done and milk has thickened.
- Pour in bowl and garnish with almonds.
- Serve either warm or cold as per your choice.
इस आर्टिकल को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें