Bhaang is prepared from the leaves and flowers of the
cannabis plant. It helps you to get free from any kind of anxiety and according to the ancient Atharvaveda, Bhaang is associated with Lord Shiva, as it is believed that he discovered the transcendental properties of the cannabis. It is used as a beverage on the day of Holi and is widely consumed
. Other Bhaang recipes that are famous for Holi are, the Bhaang Pakore
, Bhaang kulfi
and Bhaang Laddu
Following are the steps to the recipe of making a refreshing Thandai. Bhaang surely adds a kick to your celebration but you should be sure that a very less quantity should be mixed as it might ruin the Holi fun. So, hurry and get ready for the Rang aur Bhaang ki Masti on this Holi.
How to Prepare Thandai
Here are the ingredients required to make Thandai:
- 1 litre Milk
- 2-3 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Aniseed
- 1 tbsp Almonds
- 10-12 Peppercorns
- A few Saffron Strands
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Dried watermelon seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1/4 Cup fresh rose petals
Procedure to Make Thandai
- Boil the milk in a pan and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile soak aniseed, almonds, watermelon seeds, poppy seeds and rose petals in 2 cups of water.
- Grind soaked ingredients to make a smooth paste.
- Pour remaining water into this paste and strain through muslin strainer.
- Extract the liquid into a vessel. Add the sugar, peppercorns, powdered cardamom, saffron and mix well.
- Now blend the above-made mix with milk.
- Chill for about an hour before serving.
Another important and integral part of the Holi Recipe is the Bhaang ke Pakode . Read here how to prepare Bhaang ke Pakode on Holi:
Bhaang ke Pakore
Here are the ingredients required to make Bhaang ke Pakore:
250 gms Besan (gram flour)
- 200 gms Potatoes
- 200 gms Cauliflower
- 150 gms Onions
- 100 gms Spinach
- 200 gms Brinjal
- 10 gms Bhaang seed powder
- 2 gms Soda-bicarb
- 5 gms Ajwain
- 5 gms Pomegranate seed powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
Procedure to Make Bhaang ke Pakore
- Wash and peel all the vegetables.
- Sieve besan, soda-bicarb and salt together.
- Add Bhaang seed powder, ajwain, red chili powder, and pomegranate seed powder.
- Add water according to requirement and make thick batter.
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan.
- Dip the peeled vegetables in the batter.
- Deep-fry on medium fire till golden brown.
- Pakoras are ready to serve.