Indian festivals are known for their unique way of celebration. Apart from performing various traditions and rituals during the festivals, people also cook delicious food items to make the occasion even more warm and special. There are some famous cuisines that are made especially for the occasion of Holi.
Holi is famously known as the festival of colours but it is also a festival for food. After playing with colors, one enjoys eating these lip-smacking snacks and drinks. Holi is also famous for the variety of sweets that are offered to the guests who visit on the festival.
India is a vast country with a fantastic blend of cultures and traditions. Holi is celebrated across the country with different rituals and tradiitons and the food prepared also differs from place to place. So, here we have a section that contains a variety of traditional recipes and cuisines that are braised on the colourful event.
- Gujia: It is a northern sweet dish savored popular amongst the people.
- Puran Poli: These are made in small doughs after which they are fried and served hot.
- Papri: It’s a snack containing meethi leaves savored by chutni.
- Dahi Bhalle: This is also the snack which is quite popular among people and eaten with chutni and curd.
- Malpua: It is a sweet dish made of flour served with rabri. This can be stored for weeks to eat.
- Kaanji Ke Vade: It is made of urad dal and is soaked in water of rai and a flavored drink is originated which is spicy in flavor.
- Bhang: Associated with Lord Shiva, bhang has now become synonymous with Holi. Out of several ways of preparing bhang the most popular is the buds and leaves of cannabis squashed and ground into a green paste. To this mixture milk, ghee, and spices are added. This bhang base is then turned to thandai.
- Thandai: It is a cool drink made of poppy seeds, aniseeds, black peppercorns and rose petals, the buds and leaves of Cannabis. All the ingredients are then grinded into a thick green paste. It is then mixed with milk, ghee, and spices, which is later on served cool.
Here is a simple recipe of Gujiya, which can be easily prepared at home in a short span of time. Have a look at the video and make your own sweet gujiyas this Holi.
LEARN HOW TO PREPARE GUJIA