Preparations for the Maha Shivratri Puja
- Panchamrut made of un-boiled milk, curds, ghee, honey and powdered sugar.
- Roll, moli, chawal, sandalwood powder/paste, dhoop, deepak, agarbathi, karpoor, matchsticks, janeu and kacha soot (raw white thread), Gangajal Bhaang, bhasm (ash).
- Flowers, durva (tender grass), belpatr (if possible write ’Ram’ with sandalwood paste on every leaf).
Aakde ke flowers (wild white and purple flowers), dhatura leaves and flowers, lotus flowers.
- Green bel fruit, betel leaves, betel nut, cloves, cardamom.
- Five kinds of dry fruits: almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, taalmakhana and dry coconut. Slice dry coconut finely halve the cashew and taalmakhana and mix it with almonds and raisins.
- Sweets for prasad: this has to be non-cereal like peda, coconut barfi, laddoo, etc.
- Thandai (a drink made from milk, almonds, elaichi).
- Money for dakshina, Book of aartis.
Vidhi / Method of Performing Maha Shiv Ratri Puja
The entire family of Lord Shiva is worshiped on this day, including Shiva, Parvati, Ganesha, Karthikeyan and
Nandi. The days starts with prayers and continues with fasting where people eat
either at night after Puja or in the next morning.
After the Puja, Lord Shiva is offered the holy panchamrut followed by sweets and thandai.