Teej Rituals/ What to do?
1. Teej preparation:
The festival of Teej encapsulates energy, happiness, vigor and happiness. Days before Teej, women shop sarees, jewellary, groom themselves for their husbands. They apply mehndi and alta.
2. Teej Fast:
One of the most difficult fasts, the NIRJALA fast is the soul of the day. It is a pre-day fast, and so all women of a family, neighbors, and relatives gather to have a gulp of food at mid-night, as they are not supposed to take water or food the entire day. It is very popular in Rajasthan, Gujarat and Punjab and compulsory for woman of kayastha community. As it is a difficult fast so women engage themselves in games, swings, songs, movies and other forms of entertainment taking a day off from regular house-hold activities.
It is advised that pregnant or sick women do not take up this fast as it can affect their health, or they should supplement their diet with juices and milk.
3. Teej Puja:
Women observe the fast, usually gather in a temple or at a common place, with mehndi on hands and beautifully dressed. They offer the Katha to Goddess Parvati in the daytime with the complete procedure, then see moon in the night, and offer prayers to it, to complete their puja and then finally take meals.
The complete process with necessary ingredients is as follows.
• Lighting oil Lamp: It is supposed to be a purification act, where an oil lamp is lit throughout the night. If oil lamp puts out or flickers, it is supposed to be a bad-omen
• Shrinjhara (Gift Pack) : It is customary for married women to return to their parent’s home. They receive a gift pack from their in-laws called the Shinjhara derived from “Shringaar”. This pack contains all items for shringaar of their bahus. Right from Leherai sarees, Heena, Lac bangles to sweets like ghewar.
• Baya (Gift Pack): It is normally given to newly wed daughter-in laws by their mother-in laws. Baya is normally given to women observing fast comprising of sweets, mathris, clothes and jewellery.
• Swings: To engage themselves on a hard fasting day of teej, women enjoy swings, songs and other sorts of entertainment.
• Mehndi : It is traditionally a norm to apply mehndi on this occasion.
Importance of Mehndi:
Mehndi application is one of the important rituals in Teej . Not only married women but young girls also apply mehndi on this occasion. These days many kinds of mehndi are famous and preferred by different women. Beauty parlors are full and booked for this purpose. Earlier women used to apply alta to decorate their hands, but today there are many varities of mehndi that when washed can be removed , which is preferred by working women.
Tattoo Mehndi Styles