* From 1956 to 1970 the density of the Ozone layer was nearly 280 to 325 doveson which in 1994 got reduced to mere 94 doveson. The density has been on a decline since then.
* The recent report of the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) states that Earth s temperature has increased by 0.74% in the past hundred years. Its effects are disastrous like:
1. Unexpected increase in the sea level that can submerge low lying regions including UK
2. The melting of glaciers like Himadri in India, which will first result in floods and then a long lasting drought
3. Exposure to ultra-violet rays can up the risk of cancers
4. Unexpected climatic changes
* Data from NASA s Earth-observing Aura satellite show that the Ozone hole peaked in size on September 13, 2007, reaching a maximum area extent of 9.7 million square miles – just larger than the size of North America.
* The Antarctic Ozone hole was discovered in 1985 by British scientists Joesph Farman, Brian Gardiner, and Jonathan Shanklin of the British Antarctic Survey.
* On September 12, 2008, the Antarctic Ozone hole reached its maximum size for the year. The Ozone hole covered about 27 million square kilometers, making it larger than North America, which is about 25 million square kilometers. Though larger than it was in 2007, the 2008 Ozone hole was still smaller than the record set in 2006.