History Behind World Book Day
Book lovers observed an official event for the first time on 23 April, 1995, to address the problems of plagiarism and copyrights in a serious manner. The day is observed with a lot of excitement in European countries like UK and Ireland to promote good reading habits among kids. Exclusive packs are supplied to schools across the world as well in order to ensure that children get to read what they want.
Madrid was the first city to be proclaimed World Book Capital, on the sixth World Book and Copyright Day.
Events for Book Lovers on World Book Day
National Book Tokens Limited assumes the responsibility of passing on tokens for which books could be exchanged. Around 14 million children aged below eighteen years are known to benefit extensively in this regard. Such tokens could be redeemed at any local book center for eight books of personal choice. Perhaps, it is even possible to pick your favorite book based upon specific character, author or theme that has mesmerized you over the years. Valuable books from celebrity authors could be easily accessed in this regard with which you could realize your long cherished dream as well. Short-story writing competition is organized with an aim of promoting the practice of reading and writing amongst the children, young adults and adults of the city.
World Book Day - Grand Celebrations Across the Globe
Other countries in Europe too are actively involved in spreading knowledge about the value of books. Booksellers in Spain are actively involved in publicizing books since 1923 through which readers belonging to the contrasting backgrounds are able to realize maximum benefits. The event is marked as a perfect tribute to celebrate author Miguel de Cervantes who passed away on the exact day. However, it was because of the earnest efforts of UNESCO that the official World Book Day was being celebrated since 1995 in order to observe the birth and death anniversaries of William Shakespeare and April 23, the death anniversary of Shakespeare was chosen ultimately.
Several developing countries too observe World Book Day with the local flavor. Children are given utmost prominence as they get to read precisely the same books they would like since a long time. Publishers and authors too are known to campaign actively for the Copyright Day to bring the issues faced by them commonly. With the availability of social media in an active manner, the event has been already popularized to a maximum extent. Understanding the importance of reading books and treasuring details is what avid readers are bound to get.
Book is a garden kept in pocket. Book always proves to be the best friend of mankind. World Book and Copyright Day is globally celebrated event that aims to promote the pure joy of books and cultivating the habit of reading. UNESCO declared 23rd April as the day of celebration of knowledge sharing through books. Its observed in over 100 countries.
Quotes on Book and Reading1. Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain
2. Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights
Let them be your mattress
And you shall sleep restful nights.
3. A book reads the better which is our own, and has been so long known to us, that we know the topography of its blots, and dog s ears, and can trace the dirt in it to having read it at tea with buttered muffins. ~Charles Lamb, Last Essays of Elia, 1833
4. Outside of a dog, a book is man s best friend. Inside of a dog it s too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
5. A good book should leave you...slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958
6. The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce
7. A good book on your shelf is a friend that turns its back on you and remains a friend. ~Author Unknown
8. I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx
9. You know you ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney
10. It is what you read when you don t have to that determines what you will be when you can t help it. ~Oscar Wilde
इस आर्टिकल को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहां क्लिक करें