Preparation for the Puja
- One Deepak made out of atta/clay with 4 wicks
- Wicks for the Deepak oil/ghee, matchstick
- One shell with a hole
- Flowers, roli, chawal
- Water in panchpatra and a spoon
- Some money
- Pata & Aasan
- Kheel & batasha
- Dhoop (sambrani) & dhoop daan
- Chopda with roli, chawal for applying tikka
- Suhali, petha (shaker para)
Vidhi / Method of Performing the PujaIn the evening, after seeing the star, the women of the house get together for puja. In some houses both men & women do the puja.
- The 4 wick Deepak is placed on the pata.
- Oil/ghee is put in the Deepak with the Four Wicks.
- The Cowrie shell is placed on the Deepak.
- The Deepak is lit. This is referred as Yamadeep. This Deepak pleases Yamaraj and the pitars/departed ancestors of the family.
- Some water from the panchpatra is sprinkled around the Deepak, puja is performed with roli, chawal and money.
- Four suhali and little pethas are offered.
- Some people offer kheel and batasha also Dhoop is lit.
- Women performing the puja go around the Deepak four times & do pranam.
- The eldest woman of the family or unmarried girl of the house puts tilak from the roli in the chopda to everyone sitting for the puja.
- One male staff member of the house, covers his head with a cloth, takes the lit Deepak and keeps it outside on the right side of the main gate. This person is given dakshina.
- After puja, the family members do pranam to all the elder people to them.
धनतेरस पर किस विधि से मंत्र पढ़ने पर हो जाएंगे आप मालामाल, हिंदी में यहां पढ़िये, क्लिक करें